Carbon Monoxide #Silentkiller

 

Carbon Monoxide poisoning has recently gained notoriety lately, it seems like every day we are hearing of another tragedy involving and Carbon Monoxide. What is Carbon Monoxide? Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that when breathed in by humans and animal can cause serious injury and death. Carbon monoxide is found almost everywhere, from our cars and trucks, to generators, small engines, furnaces, appliances and grills and gas fireplaces caused by the incomplete burning of the fuels that they use. Wood and charcoal also produce carbon monoxide and should only be used in well vented areas.

There are many symptoms of CO (carbon monoxide) poisoning:

  1. Dizziness
  2. Headache
  3. Weakness
  4. Upset stomach
  5. Confusion
  6. Shortness of breath

As the levels of CO poisoning increases the symptoms progress and worsen, such as:

  1. Mental confusion
  2. Vomiting
  3. Loss of muscle use and strength
  4. Loss of conscience
  5. Leading to death

Because CO poising can mimic flu symptoms it can be hard to initially diagnose CO poisoning exposing them to further poisoning and has been known to cause death. While others may not experience the initial symptoms of Co poisoning that they become so confused they are unable to seek help and die, which is why carbon monoxide has been branded the “Invisible Killer.”

Carbon Monoxide is very serious and isn’t anything that should be taken lightly, however, there are ways that you can keep your family and home safe from carbon monoxide and that is to buy and install a carbon monoxide detector in your home as well as practice safety when using things that produce carbon monoxide.